By: Mari Ann Loucks
Ferris State University alumna, Katelyn Crain, gave a presentation showcasing tips and skills required for a successful career to students on Thursday, Oct. 9. She talked about her experience working at Eisbrenner Public Relations, a company that believes in working hard and having fun. Katelyn had some helpful tips and skills required in order to be successful.
Katelyn’s Tips for Interviews
- Keep your resume clean and tailor it to the company that you are applying for. For example, showcase your public relations skills when applying for PR positions.
- Come to the interview with questions and don’t be afraid to take notes – it shows that you are engaged.
- Dress for success! That means jeans are unacceptable.
- Send a thank you note or a thank you email to your interviewer afterwards! Make sure to personalize it, and reiterate the reasons why you would be the best candidate for the job.
Skills Required for Success
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Be sociable.
- Be reliable.
- Consistently be on time.
- Stay organized.
- Take initiative.
Don’t be overwhelmed if you feel unprepared for an internship. Katelyn said, “Highlight your skills. Just because you haven’t had an internship doesn’t mean you don’t have skills.”