By: Olivia Adams
I began my college career as a stubborn Big Rapids High School graduate who wanted to get as far away from Big Rapids as possible – and there was no way I’d attend Ferris because it was just too close to home. But little did I know that my plans were soon to change.
During my freshman year at Aquinas College, I discovered public relations. Unfortunately, Aquinas didn’t offer PR so I decided to head back to my hometown to study public relations at one of the top programs in the nation. To be honest, this was the best decision I’ve ever made for my career.
To me, my experience at Ferris has taught me that your career is more than just find a job you like – it’s about finding something that truly fulfills all of your needs. Public relations isn’t just a day job or something I do for fun, it’s something that satisfies my goals, passions, and drive for life. I couldn’t have been more thankful to have found such a wonderful career path and learn and grow with other talented public relations students.
- The opportunities are infinite. No matter what, companies and organizations will need public relations. Not only that, but everyone needs public relations, too. Whether you want to travel the world or work in your hometown, you can find a PR job almost anywhere you go. In fact, it’s one of those career paths where you can even make your own opportunities happen for yourself, too!
- You get to do what you love every day. Ever since I’ve become a PR major, I’ve started every day doing what I truly love. If you discover public relations and you fall in love, you’ll never have to work a day in your life. For me, this is absolutely true. No matter how tough it gets, the excitement never disappears. I couldn’t be more thankful to have found a career so early in my life where I love what I do every single day.
- There’s never a dull moment. One of the best things about public relations is that it’s always different. One day you can be sitting behind your computer cranking out press releases while the next moment you could be interviewing celebrities for a news broadcast. Sure, the industry has its challenges, but at the end of the day, the experience is always rewarding.
- You meet amazing people. Wherever you go, public relations professionals and students are probably some of the most friendly, kind-hearted, intelligent (and fun!) people you’ll ever meet. The Ferris State PR program has given me some of the greatest friends I’ll have for life and the opportunities to meet more talented individuals down the road. The PR world just isn’t an industry, it’s a community of people who want to help each other and build lasting relationships.
- It’s a career path that fulfills your passions. I can’t think of any other career path that allows young adults to have any job they can dream of. Whether it’s working for a sports team or working in a corporate office, there’s a spot for you in the PR world.
These are only a few reasons why I love public relations, and I’m sure you have your own list of why it’s the best career path. As you continue to work towards your goals and build your dreams, take note of all of the reasons why you love your career. It’ll serve as a great source of motivation and thirst for success.
As I wrap up my final week as a PR undergrad, my advice for current PR is to always be persistent, stay hungry for knowledge, and never give up. The PR world is huge and it’s filled with endless opportunities. The best way for you to make the most of your career is to be open to those opportunities and take advantage of open doors. This way, you’ll be able to create a career that’s the perfect fit for you.