By: Kaitlyn Baase
Congratulations! You have made it halfway through the semester. Whether it is your first semester at college or your last, I’m guessing you worked hard. Give your self a pat on the back.
But now that you’re halfway through the semester and winter is fast approaching, you might start noticing that your bed is getting a little bit comfier in the morning, and that skipping your 8 a.m. seems like a good thing. Or that you can just do your homework an hour before it’s due. Or just not do it in general.
That’s where you’re wrong. Just because you’ve made it this far with decent grades does not give you an excuse to start slacking. Here are some tips to help you stay motivated mid-semester.
- Improve your grades Not feeling that C in your general education psychology class? Or maybe you bombed a big assignment in finance. This is the perfect opportunity to turn your act around and improve your grades. Now that you’ve seen what you can do in college, its time to push those limits. Try and improve your grades by a letter, if you can. It will make you feel really good about yourself, especially if you achieve those goals.
- Join an organization Just because its mid semester doesn’t mean you all organizations on campus are closed off. RSO’s love getting new members! If there is a club or two you are interested in, stop by some meetings and find the perfect RSO for you.
- That planner you bought in August that you haven’t opened yet? Yeah, use it. Why not use it?! For the most part, we are all poor college kids, so you pretty much would be throwing away ten bucks by not using it at all. If you use your planner religiously, I promise its going to help you stay on top of your assignments. Not a big planner person? Try to do lists.
- Force Yourself to stay motivated Make a list of everything you have to do during the week. Try and make a promise to yourself that you will get everything on the list done before Friday night. If you don’t, no going out or hanging with friends until it is done. It should be a pretty easy thing to accomplish, as long as you don’t save it all until Friday to do.
- Do not, I REPEAT, DO NOT SKIP CLASS As the temperature starts to drop, our motivation to wake up drops as well. Think about it this way; for every class you skip, you’re throwing away about 70 dollars. The more you start skipping class, the more likely it is that your grades will start to drop. What’s the point of coming to college if you’re not going to actually go to college classes!?
This is just the beginning of tips to help you stay motivated! What do you do to stay motivated? Good luck to everyone, let’s finish the semester off strong!